Looking for a new way to make delicious food while saving energy, traveling in your RV, or expanding your kitchen’s cooking capacity to feed a crowd? A great electric skillet may just be the answer.
Our Top Picks
Like our old friend the slow cooker, the electric skillet adds tons of convenience to your kitchen. Whether you’re looking for an easy way to make lots of food at once without tying up your entire stovetop, or if you’re interested in making home-cooked meals even when a full kitchen isn’t available, can help. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you make your choice.
- Size – How much food can you cook at once? How much storage space will the electric skillet require? They come in a few different sizes and shapes, making it easy to pick the one that suits your requirements best.
- Materials – Many non-stick electric skillets are manufactured without chemicals that come with potential hazards. If you’re concerned about food safety, the best electric skillet might be one that offers a cooking surface that’s free from PFOA and PTFE.
- Maximum Heating Temperature – Check your recipes to see just how much heat you’ll need to get the results you want. Most of the models we’ve reviewed go all the way up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and some go even higher. And we can say that the it has a better temperature control and it can stay constant during the cooking.
- Returns Policy – Unfortunately, they are plagued with a few common manufacturing problems – even expensive ones have known issues. Check the returns policy before purchasing, ensuring that a faulty product can be easily replaced if encountered.
With these considerations in mind, you’ll find it easier to select the best electric skillet for your needs.
Tips for Getting the Most from Your New Electric Skillet
You’ve invested quite a bit of time and effort in your quest to select the best electric skillet for your needs. There’s a little bit of a learning curve when going from the stove top to an electric skillet. These tips will help you familiarize yourself with your new pan. With just a little practice, you’ll be using it to make a variety of delicious foods.
- Familiarize Yourself with the Skillet’s Features: Once you’ve chosen your electric skillet, spend a couple of days getting to know it. Make a few meals using different techniques, and try new recipes as well as old favorites! Be sure to keep the owner’s manual so you can refer to it if needed. Many manufacturers make their manuals available online, too.
- Season Your Electric Skillet: Most electric skillets perform far better when the cooking surface is seasoned, particularly before the first use. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and consider re-seasoning your skillet if the non-stick surface starts to lose its slippery feel.
- Use the Right Tools: Many of them have non-stick interiors. Use the right tools and avoid contact with metal, so your skillet’s nonstick surface lasts longer.
- Watch Cooking Shows: YouTube offers a treasure trove of inspiration for cooking with an electric skillet – Even celebrity chefs like Alton Brown get into the act!
- Clean Your Electric Skillet Carefully: Let the skillet cool completely before cleaning it, and be sure to remove the control plug. Keep the electrical works out of the water as you wash the skillet with dish soap, unless the manufacturer states that the skillet is immersible. Give it a rinse and wipe it dry. It’s all ready to store until the next use!
- Try Shabu Shabu at Least Once – Electric skillets are great for cooking at the table. Try hosting a couple of friends for a traditional Japanese Shabu Shabu meal, and don’t be surprised if you’re hooked!
With these techniques and some easy recipes, you’ll find that it’s simple to cook a variety of foods in your new one. Best of all, food will turn out tasting and looking amazing. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for taking great care of yours, and it’ll serve you well in return. We wish you success in your next culinary adventure!