If you’ve been searching for best mandoline slicer for a while now, you’ve come to the right place. There are lots of mandolines on the market – but not all are created equal. In fact, many are shoddily built, and can even be dangerous to use.
But with the right mandoline, you’ll be able to create beautifully sliced fruits and vegetables, so that your recipes turn out looking fantastic, with every bite evenly cooked. You can even use this tool to make homemade potato chips!
Our Top Picks:
If you enjoy cooking but you hate the thought of spending a lot of time prepping vegetables, then you’ll love what a mandoline slicer can do for your kitchen. Slicing takes mere moments, even when you’re dealing with lots of potatoes, apples, carrots, or cucumbers. Cleanup is simple, and most mandolines require far less storage space than a food processer. Here are a few factors to keep in mind as you search for the best mandoline slicer for your kitchen.
- Durability – Cheap mandolines are available, but when it comes to this particular kitchen tool, you tend to get what you pay for. Cheaply manufactured mandolines may crack or even break under pressure, and can leave you injured. All too often, the blades are too dull to slice veggies, but sharp enough to cut your fingers
- Safety Features – If you like the appeal of a basic, bare-bones mandoline, then go for it! After all, the simplest styles tend to take less storage space. Keep in mind, though, that some of the best mandoline slicers take more space because they come with built-in safety features that help prevent injuries. A large hand guard, for example, provides better protection than a smaller one.
- Versatility – Some cooks want nothing more than a durable, sharp mandoline that delivers even slices and nice julienned veggies. Others long for additional options. Versatility is a matter of personal taste, so get a mandoline with features that appeal to you.
- Platform and Blade Size – The size of the platform and blade matter. If they’re too narrow, you’re restricted to slicing smaller items. You’ll have to cut larger ones down to make them fit.
- Price – Professional chefs who use their mandolines day in and day out have different needs than the average home cook, so it stands to reason that a high-quality professional mandoline comes at a far higher price than units marketed to home users. While you might want to invest in one of these, you’ll find that many of the best mandoline slicers for home cooks come in at well under $50.
There are a lot of mandolines available, so we took extra time comparing features and reading consumer reviews to see how average users felt about the most popular models on the market. Here are our top five picks for the best mandoline slicer. Each one has a little something different to offer, making it easier for you to make a well-informed decision.
Using and Caring for Your New Mandoline Slicer
Now that you’ve chosen the best mandoline slicer for your needs; take a moment to review these quick tips for using it and caring for it. With a little bit of practice, you’ll be creating amazing recipes like a top chef.
- Learning curve: Take some time to familiarize yourself with your new mandoline. YouTube is a great source of inspiration, so consider watching a few how-to tutorials as you develop your technique. Work slowly and deliberately at first so that you get the motions down and with a bit of practice, you’ll soon be slicing like a pro!
- Wash up: Wash your mandoline immediately after use so that nothing has a chance to stick. The longer it sits, the harder it will be to clean. Be thorough as you scrub with a stiff brush, but be careful! Ensure that your slicer is completely dry before you store it. If you like, you can use a hair dryer to expedite the drying process so that you don’t risk your fingers by drying with a towel. A little bit of moisture can lead to rust and ruin even the best mandoline slicer.
- Store carefully: Keep your mandoline in a safe place. If you have curious youngsters, ensure that it’s stored in a childproof area. Wrap the blades in soft fabric to prevent damage, and to keep your fingers from accidental nicks as you’re reaching into storage areas.
With quality ingredients and the best mandoline slicer for your budget, you’ll enjoy meal prep more than ever – and your family and friends will be impressed with the results. We wish you success in your next culinary adventure!