The 5 Best Whiskey Stones
If you enjoy cool beverages but you’d rather not dilute them by adding ice, then whiskey stones are the answer. Usually made of soapstone or another non-porous material, whiskey stones are flavorless and odorless, so drinks taste the way they’re supposed to. They’re just as easy to use as ice, and they take up just a little bit of freezer space.
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks for Whiskey Stones To Buy
Whiskey stones were designed by a man who enjoyed single malt whiskey but didn’t want to water it down or drown its character by over-chilling. These unique bar accessories can help you keep any beverage an average of 5 to 15 degrees cooler than room temperature – even if it happens to be alcohol-free. We spent hours researching and reading reviews in our search for the best whiskey stones, uncovering some important considerations along the way.
- Number of Stones Per Set – It takes an average of two to three whiskey stones to keep a small beverage (think two ounces of whiskey or so) cold while you sip it. Consider how many people you’ll be serving as you decide how large a set of whiskey stones you’ll need, or whether you’ll need more than one set.
- Material – Soapstone, stainless steel, and basalt are a few of the most popular options – perhaps because they’re among the most effective. Aesthetics might play into your choice of materials too: For example, many people like soapstone whiskey stones for their soft, non-scratch surface and beautiful, natural patina.
- Use – Most people buy whiskey stones to cool beverages, but these little gems are also useful for keeping your favorite hot beverages warm longer. If you’re interested in microwaving your stones to use in hot beverages, choose a brand that contains no metal.
- Size – The larger the stones, the better the cooling power. At the same time though, you want to ensure that your choice fits your favorite glasses and doesn’t impede your ability to drink safely.
- Price – Even the best whiskey stones are relatively inexpensive, particularly as this is an investment that you’ll only need to make once. Our advice is to choose something that really appeals to your sense of taste, and enjoy the experience of sharing delightful beverages with your favorite people.
Now that you know a bit more about what to expect as you shop, we hope that you’ll find it easier to select the best whiskey stones for your needs. Here are our top five picks.
Using and Caring for Your Whiskey Stones
Now that you’ve chosen the best whiskey stones for your favorite drinks; use these quick tips for using them and taking great care of them.
- Freeze for a few hours: We know you’ll be excited to give your whiskey stones a try, but be sure that you freeze them for at least four hours before each use. The longer they spend in the freezer, the longer they’ll keep your beverages cool. Be sure to rinse and dry them before putting them in the freezer!
- In a hurry? Try this fix: Place your whiskey stones in a bowl with 3 to 4 cups of ice and about ½ cup of kosher or ice cream salt. Add enough water to completely cover the stones and ice, and then wait about 15 minutes. Rinse your whiskey stones under cold water and then add them to your beverage. The chill won’t last as long as freezing, but your beverage will stay cool long enough for you to enjoy it.
- Start with cool or cold beverages: Chill drinks that are traditionally served cold in the refrigerator or over ice before adding the whiskey stones, and they’ll stay cold longer. This is extra-important when the weather is hot.
- Try using whiskey stones hot: Taking a hot beverage outdoors in winter, or want your coffee to stay hot throughout an entire commute? Try placing your whiskey stones in boiling water for two minutes, or let them spend about two minutes in the microwave on high. Use tongs to carefully transfer them to your drink. Be sure to keep the stones away from your mouth as you sip.
- Wash, dry, and freeze: When you’re done with your whiskey stones, wash them with warm water and a little bit of mild soap. Rinse them thoroughly and set them aside to dry completely before putting them back into the freezer. Keep your whiskey stones in a container so that they’re easy to find next time you want to use them.
With your favorite beverages and the best whiskey stones money can buy, you’ll enjoy your drinks more than ever before – and you can be certain that your guests will be impressed with their beverages, too. Cheers! We wish you success with your shopping.