Zest up your life with these delicious Coconut Lemon Bars.
It’s like vacation for your taste buds!
I grew up eating lemon bars. Thanks to my mom’s love for all things citrus, she would whip them up on a regular basis.
I remember her lemon bars so well: gooey, sweet and topped with a crispy crumble. It was the perfect balance of flavours and textures.
I recently baked a batch of my own lemon bars, as an ode to my mom. I put my own little spin on it and turned them into Coconut Lemon Bars.
You see, that’s what I love about family recipes – seeing its transformation from generation to generation. It’s interesting to see how different children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. adapt recipes to fit their family’s tastes. Of course, certain recipes should never be re-imagined (and we definitely have a number of those in my family).
Steps to Making Coconut Lemon Bars
Lemon bars is a simple two-step process. I like to break it down by crust and lemon topping.
Making the crust to these Coconut Lemon Bars is absolutely simple. All it takes is flour, sugar, butter and shredded coconut. It’s key to use a pastry cutter when combining the ingredients. It will help give you the perfect consistency.
The lemon topping is what gives these bars life. A delicious combination of sugar, eggs, lemon juice and flour is all it takes to complete this family-favourite dessert.
How to Make Coconut Lemon Bars
This dessert really takes me back to my childhood. I’m thrilled to put my own special twist to it give the traditional bars a more tropical flair. I am so proud with how they turned out.
Coconut Lemon Bars
- Rectangular Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Non-Stick Skillet
For the Crust
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut toasted (instructions on how to toast down below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start by preparing the crust: In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and all-purpose flour with a pastry cutter.
- You’ll know the crust mixture is ready when you press it against your fingers and it sticks and stays in shape – similar to moist sand.
- Press the crust mixture into a rectangular pan, about 11×13 in size.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and spread with ½ cup shredded coconut. Set aside.
- For the lemon topping, cream together eggs and sugar.
- Add lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Add flour and mix.
- Pour over on top of the baked crust. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- As the lemon bars bake, toast the remaining shredded coconut by cooking it in a small non-stick skillet over high heat. Toss for about 2-3 minutes until the majority of coconut is golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Once time is up, remove lemon bars from the oven and carefully press the toasted coconut on top. Allow to cool before serving.
Have you ever made lemon bars before? What do you think of my coconut twist? Yay or nay? Let me know in the comments below!
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now!