Easy Oven Baked Ribs
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
There’s nothing quite like a delicious slab of baby back ribs.
We all like to go out to our favorite rib joints, spend a fortune, and get nice and messy as we devour all the meaty barbecue goodness. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could make your very own ribs at home? Here’s the simple truth… you can! And it can all be done right in your oven. Here’s the deal…
It may seem like you need all kinds of smokers, large ovens, and an account with a butcher to make ribs, right?
Well, only if you’re running a restaurant. All you really need to make delicious ribs at home is some ribs, a few spices, sauce and an oven. Really, that’s it!
And yes, this recipe will make “fall off the bone” ribs. It’s a simple as seasoning the ribs with some dry rub, baking for a few hours in the oven, and adding your sauce at the right time. You don’t need a smoker or special equipment. With this easy recipe, you’ll have your own rib joint right in your very own kitchen!
One of the very first things you will need to do is remove the membrane.
This really isn’t a big deal and once you get it loosened, you should be able to pull t right off. Just place the ribs upside down on the counter, insert a small knife under the membrane on the narrow and of the slab, and start to loosen it with the knife so that you get an inch or two pulled up. Then use a paper towel to grab hold of it and slowly peel it away. That’s it.
Easy Oven Baked Ribs
- Mortar and pestle
- Stick Blender
- Baking Tray
- Barbeque Grill
FOR THE RUB
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ancho chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp smoky paprika powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 25 g tinned chipotles in adobe sauce about one chilli
- 400 g tinned diced tomatoes
- 125 ml apple cider vinegar
- 80 ml dark soy sauce
- 150 g brown sugar
- fresh lime wedges to serve
- Pound half the garlic with the salt in a mortar with a pestle, then mix through all the remaining dry ingredients for the rub. Rub this mixture evenly into the ribs on both sides and leave to marinate while preparing the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. In a saucepan, heat oil on medium and sauté the onion with the pinch of salt and the rest of the garlic until starting to turn golden. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce for about 5 minutes. Process with a stick blender, then baste ribs in sauce so it is covered and reduce the rest for the glaze (you should be reducing more than half the amount). Wrap completely in foil.
- Place the foil-wrapped ribs on a baking tray and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender. Continue to reduce the rest of the sauce on the stove top until it becomes a sticky glaze.
- Preheat the barbecue on a medium heat. Char-grill ribs, turning and basting with the glaze, until charred and sticky, about 8-10 minutes. Slice and serve on a platter with some fresh lime.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now!
More Rib Recipes
If you enjoyed these baby back ribs then you will love these other ways to cook them too: