Make delicious low sodium chicken breast
Many chicken recipes contain huge amounts of sodium. With this easy recipe, you can make a delicious, low sodium boneless skinless chicken breast which is absolutely delicious.
This recipe uses simple ingredients as a low sodium marinade, and is made using a cast iron grill pan to give it all the wonderful grilled flavor, while finishing for 8-10 minutes in the oven to cook it to perfection.
For this recipe you start by pounding the chicken breast to an even thickness of around 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. The pounding helps greatly to tenderize the meat and to assure even cooking.
A cast iron grill pan is a must-have for any kitchen. For making many quick and easy recipes, it’s an essential. Invest the $20.00 at Target or Walmart and pick one up. Loge is a very popular brand.
The marinade for this chicken breast recipe is white wine vinegar, olive oil, fresh ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and parsley flakes. All are available at any grocery store and should be regulars in your pantry.
The whole process is simple… grill the chicken in the grill pan for 1.5 minutes on each side (no more!), then put the whole thing into the oven for 8-10 minutes. And that’s it!
Chicken naturally has some sodium but many brands often contain extra sodium so be sure to check the packaging. All the other ingredients contain no sodium at all while providing abundant flavor.
A company out of the Chicago area called The Spice House, has some amazing salt-free spice blends which are perfect for this recipe.
For the recipe in the picture above, I used the California Seasoned Pepper Blend. But you can use your own mixture of onion powder, garlic powder and pepper too.
A great easy chicken recipe for two!
Easy Low Sodium Chicken Breast Recipe
- 2 inch boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness (about 1/2or slightly more)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Pound chicken to 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch thick, even throughout.
- In a shallow baking dish or ziploc bag, add all other ingredients and mix well. Place chicken in marinade and refrigerate for an hour or more if you can.
- Spray grill pan with non-stick cooking spray and set heat to high. Let pan get good and hot first - this is essential! Should take at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- When grill pan is good and hot, add chicken with tongs. Don't move or touch it for exactly 1.5 minutes! Then, turn it over and grill the other side for exactly 1.5 minutes. Now, place the whole thing in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use an instant read thermometer. Chicken is done when internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Let stand on a plate for about 5 minutes before serving.