This tomato tart is the perfect addition to your family’s cookbook. Serve it for lunch or at a dinner party – everyone will surely enjoy its marvelous flavours.
I’m feelin’ so fancy, using puff pastry!
While on our most recent trip to the grocery store, I spontaneously picked up a package puff of pastry, not really knowing what to make. I think my train of thought was: “I’ll just make another dessert!”
But no – apparently, my taste buds had something else in mind.
Every week, I create a set menu for our family’s daily meals. It’s the closest we come to food prep and it totally works. As I reached mid-week, I was all out of ideas/sick of our usual dinner go-to’s.
Then, I remembered, we had that box of puff pastry. Looking in our fridge, I spotted ripened tomatoes and knew exactly what I wanted to create: a tomato tart.
My recipe for this tomato tart is simple, yet jam-packed with a variety of flavour profiles. If you’re up for a heaping serving of ricotta cheese and the smooth taste that fresh basil leaves have to offer, then this tomato tart is totally for you.
How to Make a Tomato Tart
- 1 package puff pastry thawed if frozen
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- fresh dill
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully place rolled-out puff pastry on line baking sheet and set aside.
- Place your tomato slices on paper towel and cover with more paper towel. This will soak up most of the water from the tomatoes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and egg.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the ricotta mixture onto your puff pastry, leaving the edges untouched, about ½ an inch.
- Place tomatoes on top of the spread ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with dill, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cut into square pieces – serve and enjoy!
A Few Tips:
When it comes to working with puff pastry, I highly recommend going for store-bought. Puff pastry can be very challenging to make and the packaged ones are really great-tasting and will save you tons of time!
For this tomato tart recipe, aim to purchase high quality ricotta cheese. It’ll make a world of difference!
Don’t forget to defrost your puff pastry! You’ll likely be picking it up from the grocer’s freezers, so most will need to defrost in the fridge overnight.
What’s your favourite recipe that includes puff pastry? Would your family (most specifically, kiddos) like this tomato tart recipe?
If you liked what you read, be sure to subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter for extra recipes, tips, and fashion-forward finds!