These easy fried green tomatoes are a perfect evening snack for your kid’s playdate!
Fried green tomatoes originated in the south and are a favourite in southern cuisine. There are two types of green tomatoes – those that are naturally green when ripe, and simply un-ripened tomatoes. Traditionally, green tomatoes that are used in a fried green tomatoes recipe, are the simple unripe tomatoes. Often times if we’ve had a cool summer, or especially later in the summer or early fall, tomatoes may not fully ripen on the vine. This is the perfect time to pick them and make this wonder dish. So what makes green tomatoes so perfect for frying and eating?
Unripe “green” tomatoes aren’t yet sweet like they will become when ripened and they have a more acidic and tart flavour. In fact, they’re delicious! They just need to be cooked the right way and green tomatoes, with their firmer texture are absolutely perfect for breading and frying.
Easy Fried Green Tomatoes
- Mixing Bowls
- Heavy Skillet
- 4-6 green tomatoes sliced thick
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Use a heavy skillet and heat oil to 350 degrees F
- Beat eggs in a bowl with the 2 tablespoons of water
- In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal with salt and pepper
- Dip tomato slices in the egg wash, and then coat with the cornmeal mix
- Fry in the oil for 2-3 minutes in small batches until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack or paper towels to absorb excess oil.
More Easy Appetizer Ideas
If you enjoyed this tomato tart recipe, here are some more easy appetizer ideas you will enjoy next!