Dip into this homemade sweet potato hummus – made with few ingredients and even fewer steps!
This hummus is just SPUD-tacular!
I have always loved hummus. It’s definitely one of my all-time favourite dips. I love how it also makes a great spread for sandwiches and wraps.
At first, I was always so intimidated to make my own hummus. After doing some research, I realized that all it took were some easy-peasy ingredients and a food processor/blender.
Why Sweet Potatoes?
For my first hummus endeavor, I wanted to give it a bit of a twist. This is why I decided to add some sweet potato to give it a boost of flavour.
I’m a huge fan of sweet potatoes, so I just knew this ingredient combination would be a clear winner for me.
Tahini in Hummus
I wanted to make this recipe as accessible as possible. While most hummus recipes call for tahini as a key ingredient, I opted for almond butter. It’s something we normally have in our pantry and makes for the perfect tahini replacement.
If you want a quick, homemade hummus, I recommend using canned chickpeas. With canned chickpeas, there is no need to soak, cook, etc. for preparation. They can just be rinsed, drained and dumped directly into the food processor.
What do I Serve With Sweet Potato Hummus?
As I mentioned before, you can go a really long way with hummus! I love serving mine with fresh veggies and a variety of crackers. They also go great in sandwiches and wraps. I can never have a shish-taouk sandwich without a hefty serving of hummus – it just wouldn’t be the same!
How to Make Your Very Own Hummus
Okay folks, enough with my chitter chatter. I am super proud to present my Sweet Potato Hummus – made from scratch and extremely easy to whip-up. Enjoy!
Homemade Sweet Potato Hummus
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 4-5 slices of sweet potato peeled
- 1 ½ cups canned chick peas
- 2 whole garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 tbsp of EVOO onto a non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Fry the sweet potato slices, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the slices from the pan and allow to sit on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add chick peas, sweet potatoes, garlic, almond butter, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Serve in a large bowl with veggies, chips, crackers and pita bread.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now!