This impressive Air Fryer Blooming Onion tastes just as delicious as it looks! The best part? It only takes a few minutes to prep and requires very minimal ingredients.
Blooming onions aren’t as hard to prepare as you may think! In today’s recipe, we’re showing you how to make one with the help of your air fryer. It’s super simple!
Welcome back, foodie friends! My name is Lisa and I’m best known for my party food blog, Sugar Agenda. When I’m not making sweets, I absolutely adore using my air fryer for appetizers and easy dinners. That’s why today, I’m thrilled to share with you my Air Fryer Blooming Onion recipe.
I remember trying a blooming onion 9 years ago. My best friend was hosting a little dinner party and made a couple of her own. She had a deep fryer that she wanted to test out and a blooming onion was the perfect appetizer to make! I was hooked the moment I tried my first bite.
Years later, I have found myself with an air fryer and totally loving it. Then it occurred to me: “Why not make a blooming onion in your air fryer?!” And so, here we are, and I am more than happy to share this oh-so-tasty air fryer appetizer with you!
While you’ve got it out, make a batch of air fryer pigs in a blanket too. They’re another delicious appetizer!
How To Make An Air Fryer Blooming Onion
This Air Fryer Blooming Onion requires very little ingredients and the process of cutting it isn’t too hard the moment you learn the technique. All you have to do is follow our simple instructions and you’ll be making this impressive appetizer in no time!
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Air Fryer Blooming Onion Tips
Can I Substitute The Yellow Onion?
Absolutely! Lots of recipes call for Vidalia onions when it comes to making blooming onions. We highly recommend yellow onions (that’s what we used for this particular recipe), but a Vidalia onion works just as well.
How Do I Cut An Onion So That It Becomes A Blooming Onion?
Cutting your onion so that it becomes a blooming onion isn’t as hard as you might think! Head over to the recipe card (at the end of this post!) for my detailed instructions!
It’s important that you have a sharp chef’s knife when cutting the onion. A dull knife could be very dangerous, as it can slip and then cause an accident.
The key to cutting your blooming onion is to leave enough room on the top of your onion so that it’s not cut all the way through.
Do I Need To Coat My Air Fryer Basket With Oil?
For this recipe, it’s not necessary to coat your air fryer basket with oil. Feel free to do so, but you do not have to put very much. I recommend using a cooking spray rather than pouring oil directly into your basket.
Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Air fryer
- Chef's Knife
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Begin by slicing off the onion stem and then set the onion on a cutting board, on the end where you cut off the stem.
- Starting half an inch from the root, cut downwards and work your way around the onion, creating 12 to 16 sections. When you’re cutting the sections, make sure you are cutting all the way to the middle.
- Flip the onion over and open the sections that you cut, being mindful not to break any of the sections off.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs + water. In another bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, paprika and garlic and onion powder.
- Dip the blooming onion into the egg mixture. Coat generously.
- Once coated with egg, dip the blooming onion into the breadcrumb and spice mixture. Coat generously, ensuring that the seasoning is also in the inside of each onion section.
- Place into the air fryer basket and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in 375 degrees.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now and we’ll also send you our FREE guide, Ready, Set, Eat! to learn our 3 simple secrets to help you meal plan like a pro!
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you enjoyed this Blooming Onion Recipe, then you will love these appetizer recipes: