Meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food! It’s typically is based on ground beef and uses dried breadcrumbs as a binder.
But if you’re trying to eat less beef—or no beef at all—this recipe is for you!
Ground turkey is main ingredients for this meatloaf, which keeps it lean.
It’s friendlier than beef for the environment, too! And instead of breadcrumbs, old-fashioned oats is the binder here.
That’ll punch up the whole grains and healthful fiber.
And you’ll be delighted that you don’t have to give up great taste or comfort to enjoy this made-over meatloaf.
It’s super easy to make this recipe.
You just add all of the ingredients in bowl, combine by hand, sculpt into a rectangular or football-shaped loaf, brush with a little ketchup to make a beautiful glaze, and bake.
So, what are the ingredients you’ll need?
Ground turkey, red onion, legs, oats, fresh thyme or rosemary, garlic, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ketchup. If you don’t have fresh herbs, just replace the 1 teaspoon of finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary with ½ teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary.
To enjoy, simply eat as a cozy lunch or dinner entrée.
You can’t go wrong by serving it alongside some mashed potatoes and sautéed greens or green beans.
You can also go for a lighter meal by serving it along with a lovely leafy salad. And if have any leftovers, a meatloaf sandwich with creamy mayo, crisp lettuce, and something pickled is the way to go. Enjoy!
Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN, is a classically-trained chef, registered dietitian nutritionist, award-winning cookbook author, and media personality. She is author of several cookbooks, including The All‐Natural Diabetes Cookbook, The With or Without Meat Cookbook, 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes, and Big Green Cookbook. She’s a healthy cooking instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education and a contributing recipe developer and food writer for Livestrong.com. She’s made professional guest appearances on dozens of television news shows, including Good Morning America. Visit her website jackienewgent.com or follow her on Instagram: @jackienewgent
Healthy Ground Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey about 93% lean
- 1 small or ½ large red onion minced or grated
- 2 large eggs beaten
- cup ½dry old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- teaspoon ¾sea salt
- teaspoon ¾freshly ground black pepper
- teaspoon ¾sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, add the turkey, onion, eggs, oats, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, and half of the ketchup. Combine well by hand
- Transfer the mixture to an unbleached parchment paper-lined baking pan. Sculpt the mixture into a rectangular or football-shaped loaf, about 7 inches long by 5 inches wide. Lightly brush the remaining ketchup on the top of the meatloaf
- Bake until well done (internal temperature of 165°F), about 45 minutes
- Remove from the oven. Let stand 10 minutes to complete the cooking process. Slice into 4 thick or 8 thin pieces. Serve