Once you try this quick and easy recipe for baked mac and cheese, you’ll never go back to the boxed stuff again!
This is the perfect side dish to some slow cooker pork tenderloin or grilled pork chops. If you have kids, serve them this mac and cheese for lunch along with some roasted veggies. It’s a delicious and easy lunch or dinner.
How To Make Baked Mac and Cheese
The best thing about this recipe is that it uses all real and whole ingredients. It isn’t much more work than boxed mac and cheese, either. In fact, these ingredients make all the difference.
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Elbow Macaroni
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cheddar Cheese – Shredded
- Red Pepper
- Ground Pepper
Tips For Baked Macaroni and Cheese
All the exact steps are in the printable recipe card, just a little bit further below. First, I have some tips that I think will help you as you make it. If you have a question about this recipe, please leave it in the comments.
Use Real Cheese
The best way to get a rich and creamy cheese sauce for mac and cheese is to use real cheese.
Another thing that makes a good macaroni and cheese is how the pasta takes on the cheese sauce.
If it’s simply cooked noodles swimming in some cheesy sauce, that’s not really what I’m looking for.
I want the pasta to be completely ensconced in cheese and to absorb all the cheesy goodness, texture, and flavor. By baking it in the oven, that is exactly what you’ll do.
The third thing that I think makes a delicious macaroni and cheese is having a wonderful layer of golden brown melted cheese on top.
It’s heavenly and adds a dimension that simply cannot be found in a box.
Some people like to crumble Ritz crackers and place them on top. You can certainly do that. To keep this recipe basic (and healthier) I skipped the cracker topping.
If you have leftover baked mac and cheese, store it in an airtight food storage container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to three days. Any longer than three days and the quality will begin to diminish.
Many recipes call for several steps and ingredients but this one uses just the basics and is really the easiest and best recipe for baked macaroni and cheese I’ve ever made.
Take a few minutes and give this one a try.
Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Large Saucepan
- Baking Dish
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low-medium heat and add flour, salt, pepper, paprika and ground red pepper. Whisk until smooth. Slowly add milk and continue whisking for 5 minutes while still over heat.
- Remove from heat and immediately add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir in well until it a nice rich thick cheese sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a baking dish and add macaroni and cheese sauce and mix well.
- Cover with remaining cup of shredded cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now and we’ll also send you our FREE guide, Ready, Set, Eat! to learn our 3 simple secrets to help you meal plan like a pro!
More Cheesy Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe for baked macaroni and cheese, here are some more recipes that use cheese.