It’s an awesome pick for a football watching party. It’s a great option when you want big, bold flavor. And it’s an ideal choice anytime you want a toasty warm bowl of comfort. What’s the food? Chili, of course!
There are endless ways to make a pot of chili. One of the most popular versions is chili con carne, which is chili with meat.
But when you want something meaty, yet need a non-beef option, this will definitely become your go-to version. In place of beef, you’ll make this recipe with ground turkey and red kidney beans for plenty of heartiness—and lots of satisfaction due to the punch of fiber.
To make it, you’ll first sauté ground turkey, chopped red onion, and chopped green bell pepper in oil until the turkey is crumbled and cooked through. Next, you’ll add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then you’ll add all of the rest of the ingredients, except the beans.
That means you’ll add low-sodium chicken broth, canned crushed tomatoes, chili powder, red wine vinegar, sea salt, and ground cinnamon. You’ll bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot, and simmer.
You partially cover it so the chili thickens as it reduces. Finally, about 5 minutes before the chili is ready, you’ll add the beans. You add them at the end of the cooking process so they don’t get mushy from overcooking.
A couple of the ingredients might surprise you … red wine vinegar and ground cinnamon.
The vinegar helps to balance the taste and add brightness. The cinnamon adds a unique hint of sweet spice for intrigue. So, don’t forget to add either of them!
To serve, you can simply ladle the chili into bowls and serve as is. You can garnish as you wish, too.
Try fresh cilantro, scallions, sour cream or quark, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, pickled jalapeno peppers, or hot sauce. For added fun, you can serve the chili in hollowed out sourdough bread bowls, too. And yes, you can then eat the bowl! Enjoy!
Easy and Healthy Turkey Chili with Beans Recipe
- Large Saucepan or Stockpot
- 1 pound ground turkey about 93% lean
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 crushed roasted tomatoes 14.5-ounce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 red kidney beans drained, 15-ounce
- Heat the oil in an extra-large saucepan or a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, and bell pepper and sauté until the turkey is cooked through and crumbled, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 sec-onds
- Add the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, vinegar, salt, and cinnamon and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is near desired consistency, about 30 minutes
- Stir in the beans and simmer, uncovered, until desired consis¬tency, at least 5 minutes
- Season with additional salt, if need. Spoon chili into bowls. Garnish as desired
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now!