Start your mornings off sweet with these rich red velvet pancakes with homemade maple syrup buttercream. It’s like eating cake for breakfast!
This is the perfect recipe to make when you want to celebrate something special. Break out of the idea of always using boxed pancake mix and make these from scratch.
Want more recipes like this? Sign up to get them right in your inbox!
There are so many fun things you can do with breakfast! I loved the Nutella crepes – and these pancakes are another delicious and sweet treat. Every single bit of these pancakes is made completely from scratch. Even so, you’ll be surprised at how easy they are.
Even if you haven’t ever made anything homemade before, this is the perfect place to start! Just follow my ingredients and steps and you’ll have the fluffiest and richest pancakes you have ever tried!
What You Need
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Red gel food coloring
- Butter for the pan
- Cream cheese
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Whipping cream
- Maple syrup
Questions & Tips
Before we get to the recipe card at the bottom of this post, I want to share some additional tips and answer some questions people often ask about these pancakes.
What Is Red Velvet?
This is fascinating, but did you know that red velvet isn’t a flavor? It’s chocolate with red food coloring. Honestly! Well, that is what it has become. It started out in the Victorian age as a cake with a red hue from the undoctored cocoa. The Takeout actually researched the history and current definition of red velvet, if you are curious.
These pancakes are chocolate and have a velvetty smooth texture with cream cheese topping, so I stayed true to the traditional red velvet recipe.
Why did you use vinegar in the pancake batter?
How do you store leftover pancakes?
More Topping Ideas
Or, just use maple syrup on the pancakes. It tastes amazing without the cream cheese topping, too.
Other topping ideas include:
Red Velvet Pancakes With Cream Cheese Topping
Red Velvet Pancakes
Cream Cheese Topping
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 3 tbsp Confectioner's Sugar
- 2 tbsp Whipping Cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Add sugar, milk, vinegar, eggs, and oil and whisk until batter is completely smooth. Add gel food coloring and whisk until the batter is completely colored. Add more red if necessary.
- Heat a buttered non-stick pan over medium heat. Pour about 1/3 cup’s worth of batter into the center of the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Stack pancakes on a plate and set aside so that you can prepare the delicious maple cream cheese topping!
- For the topping, use a stand mixer or electric mixer to beat cream cheese, sugar, whipping cream, milk, and 1 tbsp of maple syrup. Once the ingredients are completely mixed with one another, pour generously over your stack of pancakes. If desired, pour more maple syrup on top.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now!
More Breakfast Recipes
If you enjoyed this easy breakfast recipe, here are some more breakfast recipes you should try next! They are some of our favorites.