Mamma mia! It’s time for some good old-fashioned Italian comfort food. Easy oven baked chicken parmesan is a quick and simple dish your whole family will love.
Crispy oven baked chicken breasts smothered in savory red sauce and topped with melted mozzarella makes this easy recipe a hit every time. Simple enough for any weeknight, oven-baked chicken parmesan will become a regular in your rotation in no time. Chicken breasts in the fridge and not sure what to make tonight? With just a few pantry staples, quick and easy baked chicken parmesan will be on the table in no time.
Who doesn’t like some good old-fashioned Italian comfort food? Quick and easy oven baked chicken parmesan is a simple dish you’ll want to make on the regular. Picky eaters? It’s breaded chicken and pasta sauce. Your pickiest of eaters will be cleaning their plates.
Simple enough for a weeknight dinner yet impressive enough to dress up your Sunday dinner table. Having guests? Just add more chicken breasts and an additional jar of your favorite tomato sauce. Be aware to not overcrowd your baking dish and the additional chicken will cook evenly. Put on some Sinatra or Dean Martin and let’s get cookin’!
How To Make Easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
In just 30 minutes in the oven, you’ll have this delicious Italian feast on the table. In the oven just long enough to fill the house with delectable aromas and get the family’s mouths watering. They’ll think you fussed for hours but no one needs to know how simple and easy oven baked chicken parmesan is to make.
What You Need:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
- Your favorite spaghetti/penne or marinara sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
Tips for Easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
How Long Do I Bake Chicken Parmesan in the Oven?
In a preheated 400 degree oven, you bake your breaded chicken uncovered for 20 minutes before adding your favorite spaghetti/penne or marinara sauce. These first 20 minutes will allow your chicken to get nice and crispy. A crisp crust on oven baked chicken parmesan is key to perfecting this dish. Without the breadcrumbs nice and crisp, when you add the sauce you will have a soggy mess on your hands.
Once you’ve baked your chicken parmesan for 20 minutes in your preheated 400 degree oven, simply pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella cheese continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
After the additional 10 minutes, check the thickest part of the chicken breast with an instant-read digital thermometer (aka your best friend in the kitchen). The chicken will be done at 165 degrees. If your chicken is not quite done (depending on the size of your chicken breasts) simply continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken has reached 165 degrees.
As always let the chicken parmesan rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
What Should I Serve with My Easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan?
I like to serve my easy oven baked chicken parmesan over a bed of pasta. What type of pasta? This is really up to personal preference. I like mine over spaghetti, linguine, or fettucini. I find these longer pastas help soak up all that delicious sauce.
On the side, a simple green salad is always nice and the freshness works as delightful palate cleanser in contrast with the richness of the chicken parmesan.
Any green vegetable can also be a nice accompaniment. I like a little broccoli or green beans. Also, don’t forget your garlic bread to sop up that sauce on the plate. Make our simple recipe or pick up Texas toast in any grocer’s freezer section. Pop it in the oven for 5-8 minutes as your easy oven baked chicken parmesan rests and it’ll all be ready at the same time.
Can I Modify this Recipe for Dietary Restrictions or Personal Preference?
Absolutely! Have at it! Here are some of my favorite ways to change this recipe.
- Only have plain breadcrumbs on hand? Simply add some Italian seasoning to your plain breadcrumbs.
- No breadcrumbs at all on hand? Substitute crushed crackers instead. You can easily doctor them up with a little Italian seasoning or garlic powder and oregano.
- Gluten-free? No worries! Substitute the seasoned breadcrumbs with a gluten-free alternative. Many grocery stores sell gluten-free breadcrumbs or you can make your own with crushed gluten-free crackers.
- Cheese lovers in your family? Try adding a little grated parmesan to your breadcrumbs and double the shredded mozzarella on top.
- On the flipside, lactose intolerance? Simply omit the shredded mozzarella on top and when dredging your chicken breast omit the mill and double the egg.
Play around. Have fun. Cooking should be a joy. Buon appetito!
Easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 13×9 Glass Baking Dish
- Instead Read Food Thermometer
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 jar your favorite spaghetti/penne or marinara sauce 24oz
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine lightly beaten egg and milk in a bowl.
- Dip chicken in egg/milk mixture, then dip in in bowl with breadcrumbs. Then, place breaded chicken breasts in a 13×9 inch glass baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and add shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until done. Check with an instant read thermometer. Temp will be 165 degrees F when done.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now and we’ll also send you our FREE guide, Ready, Set, Eat! to learn our 3 simple secrets to help you meal plan like a pro!
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you enjoyed this chicken parmesan recipe then you will love these chicken recipes too: