Easy Cheese Empanadas
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Cheese empanadas are a delicious dinner option – especially when you’re seeking a no-meat meal! These are easy to make with ingredients you already have in your pantry.
If you love cheese, then you should make some easy black bean and cheese quesadillas next. Easy spinach lasagna is also a really cheesy dish that you’ll like just as much.
Want more recipes like this? Sign up to get them right in your inbox!
There are a lot of different ways to make empanadas. The differences can be found in the way the crust is made, the way it is folded, and even the fillings.
Since they are such a popular dish, I wanted to make an easy recipe that anyone can make. I only filled them with cheese, which gives you lots of room for creativity
Keep reading and learn how easy these empanadas are to make so you can make some for lunch, dinner, or your next party.
How To Make Cheese Empenadas
This is a very simple recipe that you can change and make your own without any effort.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Baking powder
- Chicken Stock
- Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
Cheese Empenada Tips
All the exact steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here are some additional tips and photos of the process.
Sift the Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. If you don’t have a sifter, you can always place all the dry ingredients in the same bowl and use a whisk to get them well-combined.
Cut-in the Shortening
Using a pastry cutter, cut the shortening into the bowl of dry ingredients. You’ll want to continue cutting until the mixture looks crumbly and well-combined.
Chill the Dough
Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for a half-hour. This is a very important step because it makes the empanada dough easier to manipulate and work with.
Roll Out The Dough
Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and spread the flour evenly on a working surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick.
Step 8: Cut the Circles
Use a circular cookie cutter, about 3-4 inches in diameter, and cut 12-15 circles out of your dough.
Assemble the Empenadas
Place the dough cut-outs on a lined baking sheet. Fill each one with cheese mixture, right in the center. Fold over and seal using a fork.
Bake the Empenadas
Bake in a preheated oven, 350 degrees F for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Be sure to roll out your dough as much as you can. Thick empanadas tend to taste try and are too flaky.
- Have fun with your cheese combos! I used cheddar and parmesan because that’s what I had in my fridge. However, any type of hard cheese could work for this recipe.
- If you don’t have a cookie cutter that size, you can always use a bowl or glass to form your dough cut-outs.
- Large bowl
- Rolling Pin
- Circular Cookie Cutter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the shortening into the bowl of dry ingredients. You’ll want to continue cutting until the mixture looks crumbly and well-combined.
- Add egg and chicken stock and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the dough mixture onto a clean working surface, lightly floured, and knead until a doughball forms.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for a half hour.
- Mix cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and spread flour evenly on a working surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Use a circular cookie cutter, about 3-4 inches in diameter and cut 12-15 circles out of your dough.
- Place the dough cut-outs on a lined baking sheet. Fill each one with cheese mixture, right in the center. Fold over and seal using a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
Have you ever had cheese empanadas? Would you be willing to make these for your family?
More Easy Recipes
If you enjoyed these cheese empanadas, here are some more easy recipes you should try next!
Yes please. You had me at cheese. I tend to love anything with cheese and I feel like I could make these easily.
welli def know what im making for dinner tonight- these look delicious and a lot easier to make then i thought too!
I will have to try these. We had empanadas for the first time at the Food & Wine at Disney and I have been craving them ever since.
These look so yummy and perfect to snack on. I haven’t made empanadas in so long. I know my family is going to love this recipe.
I could probably eat this entire batch on my own. Yum. I cannot wait to try these.
Empanadas are the best! I have never tried making them myself but now I am going to.
This looks like a great dinner idea! We are always looking for no meat meal suggestions, this will be easy to modify to a vegetarian dish too.
This is certainly one of my favorites. It has so much flavor and great taste. Too easy to prepare as well.
I am so intrigued by this Filipino recipe. I would like to try it and looks so delicious!
My grandkids love empanadas! I love making a variety of different kinds especially love adding in some veggies.
This looks like something that my whole family would love. It can be hard to settle on something that everyone enjoys but I think this one would be it. We love anything cheesy so I have to try this out.
Empanada is one of my favorite Filipino snack,s but I have never tried preparing it myself because I thought it’s hard to do. Will try your recipe soon!
This looks like such a delicious dinner idea. I would totally love to make these one day. I have had them at restaurants before, but I’d like to make them myself.
These look so good and not too difficult. I think my family would really appreciate them.
Yum! This Cheese Empanada looks soo delicious! Can’t wait to go to my kitchen and make this!
Yum! I don’t have a ton of family recipes that were passed down to me. I’m making sure to fix that for my kids. I would love to add these empanadas to our rotation to make special memories around the dinner table.
I’ve never made this but now I want to! I’m going to give it a shot!
This is such a clever appetizer idea for the family. I’ll be sure to pin this to my for the family recipes Pinterest board.