There’s quite as satisfying as making your own delicious mashed potatoes, chicken, turkey or meatloaf, and adding your own homemade gravy. And it’s actually one of the easiest recipes you can make?
This easy gravy recipe uses just a few basic ingredients and is the perfect compliment to many delicious meals.
Most commercial gravy mixes are extremely high in sodium and this recipe only uses a fraction of all that salt, without sacrificing taste.
The key ingredient here is the black pepper.
You’ll be doing yourself and all the recipes you prepare a huge flavor by having a pepper mill to always be able to make fresh ground pepper.
You see, fresh peppercorns have essential oils that are expelled during the grinding process which provide all the wonderful aroma and taste.
If you’re using pre-ground pepper you’re losing out on the very essence of what makes pepper one of the most aromatic and highly used spices in the world.
So be sure to use fresh ground pepper in this awesome and easy gravy recipe. You’re gonna love this one!
Easy Homemade Black Pepper Gravy Recipe
- 5 tablespoons purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a heavy, medium-sized sauce pan. Whisk in flour until mixture is creamy smooth and no clumps of flour are left.
- Slowly pour in the milk and continue whisking.
- Add salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.