The best way to make onion rings at home is to use the air fryer! These air fryer onion rings are crispy and amazing – just like your favorite restaurant!
The combination of flour and breadcrumbs creates a breading that makes these onion rings irresistible!
Onion Rings At Home
If you love deep-fried onion rings from your favorite sports bar, then you’ve got to try making them at home. We improved our beer-battered onion rings recipe to make it healthier and tastier at the same time!
By cutting back on the calories (no more beer) and using the air fryer (so much less grease), you’ll have yummier and healthier onion rings!
What You Need
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Mixing Bowls – You’ll need 3 small bowls; one for the eggs, one for the flour and salt, and another for the breadcrumbs.
- Air Fryer: Any size of air fryer will work great. If you don’t have one, check out this list of the best air fryers.
- Mandolin/Onion Slicer: This is optional, but it really makes it easier to slice the onion.
- Sharp Knife: If you don’t use the slicer, just use a chef’s knife.
- Onion: It’s best to use a yellow or white onion; it will have the best flavor when it fries.
- Flour: Use your favorite kind of all-purpose flour, whether that is gluten-free or not.
- Salt: Change the spices and use more than just salt, if you want. Garlic powder would taste delicious with it.
- Eggs: This helps the batter stick to the onion rings.
- Breadcrumbs: This is what gives the onion rings their amazing crunch!
How To Slice An Onion To Make Onion Rings
It’s so easy to slice an onion into rings. Just follow these easy steps!
- Remove the skin and cut off the top and bottom.
- Lay the onion horizontally on your cutting board.
- Slice the onion into 1/4-1/2 inch thick rounds. These are the onion rings.
- After slicing, gently separate the rings from the center so they are individual rings.
What Is In Onion Ring Batter?
We changed this a bit to make it healthier. Our old recipe was for beer-battered onion rings. While that’s always a tasty option, we improved them. Now, they are crunchier and healthier than ever!
Make it Gluten-Free
To make the onion rings gluten-free, use gluten-free all-purpose flour. If you use Coconut flour and crushed pork rinds, they will be both gluten-free and low-carb!
Best Type of Onions
The best type of onions for making onion rings are typically sweet onions. These onions have a milder and sweeter flavor, which complements the crispy, savory coating of the onion rings. I suggest using white or yellow onions.
While sweet onions are the top choice for onion rings, you can also use other mild onion varieties like Spanish onions. Just keep in mind that the stronger and more pungent the onion’s flavor, the more it will come through in the final dish. So, if you prefer a milder and sweeter taste for your onion rings, opt for sweet onion varieties.
Love these recipes? Get our latest recipes in your inbox. Sign up now and we’ll also send you our FREE guide, Ready, Set, Eat! to learn our 3 simple secrets to help you meal plan like a pro!
Air Fryer Tips
Using an air fryer is incredibly easy – especially for making onion rings. Here are a few tips that will save you time and frustration.
- Spray with non-stick spray. This will help the onion rings flip over without sticking.
- Flip the onion rings. About halfway through cooking, open the air fryer and flip the onion rings over.
- Follow the user manual. Not all air fryers are the same. If yours needs to preheat, don’t skip that step.
- Place in a single layer. Don’t pile them on top of each other. This gives them room to cook evenly.
What To Eat With Onion Rings
If you’re trying to stay healthy, fry up some sweet potato fries. They will disappear at your next party.
How Long Do Onion Rings Last?
Store leftover onion rings in an airtight container. They will stay fresh for up to three days.
Best Onion Ring Dips
Don’t forget to serve the onion rings with your favorite dips! Honey mustard, BBQ sauce, ketchup, and mayo all taste delicious with them.
Easy Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Air fryer
- 1 medium-sized yellow or Spanish onion
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Cut onion into rings and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add eggs into its own bowl, and add breadcrumbs into its own bowl as well.
- Working one onion slice at a time, dip the slice into the egg, then into the flour bowl. Coat thoroughly.
- Next, add back into the egg, then add it into the bowl of breadcrumbs, ensuring a thorough and even coat.
- Place into the basket of the air fryer.
- Once the air fryer basket is filled, bake the coated onions in 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. You may have to work in batches because you only want a single layer per baking session.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
If you loved this air fryer onion rings recipe, here are some more easy recipes you can make in the air fryer!